Male in military uniform looking through microscope in lab environment

Information for Veterans

Each KCTCS college coordinates federal and state education benefit programs for veterans and eligible dependents through Veterans Services. Their offices will assist you with your application for benefits and certify your enrollment to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Processing Office.

Meet Danny Anderson

Danny Anderson

Two weeks after graduating from high school, Danny joined the military where he worked as an Aviation & Communication Equipment Repair Specialist. Following his military career, he enrolled at Hopkinsville Community College (HCC) to study nursing.

In 2008 he graduated from HCC and was hired by Gateway Medical Center in Hopkinsville. He is currently finishing his bachelor’s degree in nursing and will graduate in December 2012.

"Education has truly changed my outlook — I look forward with positive hopes for my future and the future of my family."

VA Benefits Programs

The following VA benefit programs are in place at all KCTCS colleges: 

Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill (active duty or veteran status)

  • Montgomery GI Bill / Chapter 30 (active duty or veteran status) must have served in the United States Armed Forces and participated in the GI Bill program. In most instances, veterans must also have been honorably discharged. Veterans must complete Form 22-1990 at student must provide a copy of the certificate of eligibility to the KCTCS VA Coordinator upon enrollment at a KCTCS college.

Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation (service-connected disabled veterans)

  • VA Vocational Rehabilitation / Chapter 31 (service-connected disabled veterans) must make application with a local VA caseworker to have rehabilitation plan developed indicating a KCTCS college degree plan. The student must provide a copy of the certificate of eligibility, VA Form 1905 (generated by the vocational rehabilitation counselor), to the college VA Coordinator upon enrollment at a KCTCS college.

Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill

  • The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Post-9/11 GI Bill became effective for training on or after August 1, 2009. Veterans must complete Form 22-1990 at The student must provide a copy of the certificate of eligibility to the college VA Coordinator upon enrollment at a KCTCS college. Certified veterans using Post 9-11 Chapter 33 benefits may defer payment until the tuition benefit is received by the college or until the end of the semester, whichever comes first. Post 9-11 Chapter 33 and grant/loans are posted to the veteran's student account in the order the funds are received by a KCTCS college.

Chapter 35 Survivor's and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (dependents and spouses of 100% disabled or deceased veterans)

  • Survivor's and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (dependents and spouses of 100% disabled or deceased veterans) / Chapter 35 must complete Form 22-5490 (application) and submit to the Department of Veteran Affair. Once the benefit is established, the VA will issue a certificate of eligibility to the dependent/spouse. The student must provide a copy of the certificate of eligibility to the VA Coordinator upon enrollment at a KCTCS college.

Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill (selected guard and reserves)

  • Montgomery GI Bill / Chapter 1606 (selected guard and reserves) must have completed all initial entry training (IET) and are now assigned to a Reserve and/or a Kentucky/Tennessee National Guard Unit. Please submit a copy of your DD 214 Form and NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility, obtained from your unit education officer).Veterans must complete Form 22-1990 at The student must provide a copy of the certificate of eligibility to the college VA Coordinator upon enrollment at a KCTCS college.

Chapter 1607 Reservists Call to Active Duty (REAP)

  • Montgomery GI Bill / Chapter 1607 (REAP) must have been called to active duty under federal authority for a contingency operation as determined by Congress or the President. Veterans must have served on active duty in a contingency operation for at least 90 continuous days after September 11, 2001. You must remain within your component to use benefits. Veterans must complete Form 22-1990 at

VA Work Study Program

VA students are eligible to apply for VA work study positions. KCTCS colleges may offer positions such as customer service work study positions in the academic affairs and student services departments. Additional VA work study information is available at the VA GI Bill website.

Eligibility for VA Educational Benefits

Eligibility for VA educational benefits are determined by the US Department of Veterans Affairs in St. Louis, Missouri. Forms may be obtained online at Students eligible to receive VA educational benefits must submit a copy of their schedule to the college's VA Coordinator. Any change in your program or schedule must be promptly reported. The student must provide a copy of the certificate of eligibility to the college VA Coordinator upon enrollment at a KCTCS college.

Getting Started

After gaining admission to a KCTCS college, students should go online to to begin the process of applying for VA benefits. If you are a veteran transferring from another school, you must fill out Form 22-1995 "Change of Program or Place of Training." If you are a family member or dependent, you must fill out Form 22-5495 "Change of Program or Place of Training." The following documents should be presented to the college's VA Coordinator when making application for VA benefits:

  • DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty)
  • Kicker/Buy Up documentation
  • College Fund documentation
  • VA Certificate of Eligibility
  • Copy of current semester/term college class schedule

Veteran Students' Responsibilities

Tuition and Fee Payment:

Students are responsible for paying all college tuition and fees. KCTCS and the VA do not have an agreement to process tuition/fee waivers; therefore, failure of the VA to pay students in a timely manner does not eliminate or delay students' financial responsibility to the college. It normally takes the St. Louis VA processing center 6-8 weeks to process new education claims, so please plan accordingly.

Academic Progress and Enrollment:

Veteran students at KCTCS colleges have ongoing responsibilities to the VA. The college VA Coordinators closely monitor each student's enrollment status and academic program. The student's entitlement is based on the number of credit hours for which they are enrolled. Current pay rates can be viewed on the GI Bill website

Veteran students at KCTCS colleges must do the following to ensure continued benefits:

  1. Notify the college's VA Coordinator every term enrolled in which VA benefits are expected
  2. Complete an academic plan with an academic advisor and return to the VA Coordinator with a copy of a current class schedule.
  3. Notify the VA Coordinator if you:
    • change your degree program
    • change your schedule / add or drop (notification required within two days)
    • withdraw completely (notification required within 24 hours)
    • change your address

Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 Monthly Verification

All students receiving Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607 benefits must verify their monthly enrollment on the last day of each month or after. The benefit (monetary award) will not be released by the VA until this is done. Enrollment verification can be accomplished by using the VA toll-free telephone number 1-877-823-2378 or the WAVE feature found on the VA website

Advance Pay

KCTCS does process VA Advance Pay, but must be notified and processed 60 to 120 days BEFORE the start of the semester/term.

Kentucky Tuition Waiver Program

The Kentucky Tuition Waiver Program is an educational benefit provided for children, step-children, adopted children, spouses, and un-remarried widows and widowers in recognition of military service of certain disabled or deceased Kentucky veterans. Additional information about this program and the application process is available at Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs.

Credit for Prior Training and Experience

KCTCS is required to evaluate prior educational training and experience. This includes military training and experience received while on active duty and any coursework taken at educational institutions even if the coursework was not paid for with VA benefits.

Military credit / transcripts can be obtained from the following locations: